Orexo’s principal market today is the American market for treatment of opioid dependence using buprenorphine/naloxone. Orexo operates in the market through the commercialization of Zubsolv®, which is an effective drug for people with an opioid addiction. Dying from an overdose is one of the most common causes of death in the US and almost 80 americans dies every day1. The problem is classified as an epedemic. Several important federal initiatives have been taken to increase access to treatment, and this creates scope for continued strong growth.
The market for treatment of opioid dependence in the US can be summarized as follows:
- 100 million suffer from chronic pain
- 50 million use opioids for pain relief
- More than 10 million Americans use opioids for non-medicinal purposes1
- A quarter of those receiving chronic opioid treatment in primary care have dependency problems and over 5 million are dependent on opioids1
- 2 million are diagnosed as opioid addicts1
- Approximately 0.6 million treated
- Pharmaceutical market for treatment of opioid dependence has gross worth of approximately USD 2.5 billion, that is before discounts to wholesalers and insurance companies
- During the recent years the annual market growth has amounted to almost 8 percent
The market is dominated by one player who had a monopoly on buprenorphine-based treatment over a long period of time and has thus been involved since the start of this market. This leading player still has a strong position in the market. Besides Orexo there is also a smaller company in the market, selling under its own brand, and there are approximately five generic company players.
- In the third quarter the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced that doctors’ ceiling for treatment with buprenorphine/naloxone is to be raised from 100 to 275 patients per year1.
- During the third quarter the American Congress signed CARA, which amongst other things means that nurses and doctors’ assistants may write prescriptions. This can thereby be implemented in 2017.
In addition to more people receiving care, the market has been given a chance to normalize. The decisions increase financial incentives for doctors to start clinics and begin to treat patients to a greater extent.
1 The Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act
- Historically Zubsolv has had stronger growth among new patients, with a market share of more than 10 percent for completely new patients
- Broadest offering of dosage strengths and only company in the market offering a unique low dosage for winding down treatment
- Most comprehensive data in the market
- Data from Maryland shows a 37 percent decrease in the smuggling in of buprenorphine products after Zubsolv had become the first choice
- 70 percent of patients prefer Zubsolv compared to the market-leading drug in the USA and 79 percent compared to the leading and only drug containing buprenorphine/naloxone in Europe1
1 Results from ISTART STUDY in the US- largest trial (N=758); EU bio-equivalence study with data on file at Orexo